So here I sit, Downtown Cleveland - at the Justice Center, fulfilling my civic responsibility of jury duty. I have to say, I'm intrigued and curious, but sort of feel trapped as well. I certainly don't mind going to work every day. It's just what I do - I know it and it's just part of my routine.
This week, my routine and what I know is all screwed up by traveling downtown, dealing with traffic and PAYING to park in an overcrowded parking garage - probably blocked in by another car! I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was here right about at 8:00 this morning like I was supposed to be. There was a line about a mile long - well, maybe not a mile, but it was REALLY long to check in. I bet there are between 300 and 400 people here! I was one of the last ones to check in and I found myself a seat on the floor in a corner since all of the chairs seemed to have been taken.
Thank goodness for laptops!!! They do allow them and they do have wireless internet, so I just took my seat and started working. I did some work through the orientation process and then realized my battery was just about done. I had to find an electrical outlet, which I did and started back to work. To my surprise, I was in the very first group of people they called. So I packed up my stuff and headed to the 22nd floor - pretty cool view of the city up there - and stood in another line to get seated to a trial. The bailiff called out names in the order of the seated jury and the alternates. I was actually seated - juror #7. This was a civil case that involved 2 guys who were working for the city as garbage collectors and were injured in an accident that they were claiming was the fault of another driver, who is now dead, but that death was unrelated to this accident -that happened in 2003. So I spent almost 2 hours being asked questions (with all the other seated jurors) by 3 different attorneys and the judge. Just as things seemed to be winding down, and I thought we were going somewhere, one of the attorney's dismissed me. I had thought I was going to be on this case for the 3 days they were expecting and be done, but it didn't pan out this way. So away I went. Then it was lunch time. I went to the cafeteria for an overpriced personal pan sized pizza and then headed back to the waiting room to be called for another case. And here I sit............
I'll update as my week - yes, my 5 day minimum - week of service goes along. Once again, thank GOODNESS for a laptop!!!
2 comments:
I'm looking forward to your jury duty recaps! So far I've been luck - no jury duty for me, knock on wood!
I've had jury duty 3 times! in virginia and here. crazy. you might not get called all 5 days!
Post a Comment