Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jury Duty, Day 3

First, I'll recap the rest of my day yesterday - BORING!!!!! I just sat in my spot in the jury assembly area on the computer playing internet games and occassionally slipping in a little work. We were dismissed at 3:30 and I headed out of here. Got to my car and zipped out of the parking lot. I had to go to the Orange Avenue Post Office to do an errand for work. I got there just before 4:00. I stood in a really long line waiting for ONE of the TWO (very slow) workers to greet me, only to be told I couldn't pay for my business reply account due to some error in their system. So I had to go down the hall to have an administrator look into it. I did this and a very nice (and even slower moving) lady came to help me. I sat there for about 10 minutes and she did her thing and told me I could now go pay the fee at the window. Gee, how nice, I got to go stand in another VERY long line and wait for one of the two very slow workers to greet me again! I have to say, I was a bit annoyed at this point! I finally got to the window, paid the fee and got back to my car about at about 4:45. I'm now truly amazed that the US Post Office gets a piece of mail to my door in a matter of a couple of days because the workers at this main post office do not move very quickly.

Oh, well, it was only 4:45 and I had to pick Hannah up by 6:00, so I was glad to know that I could get her a little early and just go home. Until I got on the highway - bumper to bumper going between 10 and 15 mph - THE WHOLE WAY!!!! I was just coming down 71 by Ford at about 5:15 or so when I started getting nervous that I wasn't going to get Hannah in time. I was afraid to have to call Tony because he's not real fun to disturb when he's sick and I didn't want to have to have him leave to go get her at the last minute, so I just hoped that I could get off the highway and zoom over to the other end of town to pick her up. I got off an exit sooner than normal and drove as fast as I could and just hoped there wasn't a cop behind me!!! I pulled into Val's drive way at about 5:58 - I was pretty aggravated at this point! I got hannah and drove home only to almost get stuck in the driveway. I then got the pleasure of snowblowing and shoveling the driveway. I wouldn't have minded so much, but I don't own winter boots and my gloves might as well be made of lace since my fingers were frozen! But it got done and I only stayed aggravated until I warmed up and got a bite to eat.

I then played with Hannah for a while - with her Barbie Diamond Castle that she LOVES (I'm so glad I broke down and got it for her). I also watched American Idol and did a little flipping back and forth to Biggest Loser.

American Idol thoughts: um, getting old, but still intrigued. Hopefully Kara reaplaces Paula, although she seemed to be on better behavior - maybe the kooky glasses helped! I did read that the results shows are only going to last 1/2 hour, so that should be better. I will still watch, but I'm not a fanatic at this point (meaning it'll be OK if I miss one or two shows).

OK, so I realize I did a lot of talking and so far, nothing about jury duty, Day 3. So here we go.......

It's getting harder to get up early. I've been pretty spoiled and don't enjoy seeing this much of the 6 o'clock hour!!! But I rolled out of bed and got ready. I left the house just after 7:30 and today, the traffic moved right along almost until I was approaching the downtown area. It wasn't a bad commute today. I got the parking garage and over to the justice center and glady found "my spot" waiting for me. It was starting to feel almost like a normal routine today. I'm now familiar with the drive, my way into the building and up to this area. It's weird to now feel like I know what I'm doing when I felt so lost just 2 days ago. Wednesday, they bring new jurors into the pool, so I would think that could lessen the chance of my name being called, but we'll see. I had no problem getting on to the internet this morning, so I checked email, did a few work things and sat here and waited. That's the worst part about this - the sitting and waiting. I think I would much prefer to get on a case and hear it out. At least there is something more interesting to help pass the time.

I was treated to a "Wednesday juror" with a very big mouth (and big butt I might add) to sit next to me and NOT SHUT UP!!! I can now tell, I'm getting a little over this experience as I'm easily annoyed. Luckily, she got called around 10:23 (not that I noticed the time) and by lunch time, hasn't yet returned. We were released to lunch (the almost 2 hour lunch) at 11:30. I went to the cafeteria to warm up my can of soup - I would highly recommend bringing your lunch to jury duty - and this other woman (one of the MANY idiots here) was waiting behind me at the microwave. I think she wanted to be nice and strike up a conversation with me, but what she didn't know was I wasn't up for small talk, especially with an IDIOT. Well, she too has been here since Monday and is sick of the snow. She also told me that she's wouldn't want to be one of these defendants......No, really, dumbass? You don't say!!! Would that be because if you were a defendant you most likely committed a crime and may face the fact that you could go to jail?? Or is it more along the lines of because if you were a defendant your destiny could fall into the hands of SOME IDIOT LIKE YOU?????

Oh, boy, I see I'm getting a little cranky!!! Day 3 has been very boring as I sit here on my computer in my cube - no calls of my name yet and I still have at least 3 hours to go before I experience the pleasurable commute home. I'm also tired of listening to stupid people's conversations.

At this point, I would say my curiosity about jury duty has been fulfilled. I see how it works, I'd have rather actually been seated on a case. I just hope at this point though, I'm not called. My luck would have it that I would get seated now and be stuck here past my 5 days. I also overheard someone talking about the fact they got seated on a capital case and would most likely be here for up to 4 weeks or longer. They had to fill out this 14 page questionarre - that would not be fun!!! Thank goodness I didn't get called in that group! The one thing I do wonder is what excactly is an attorney looking for in a juror? I wonder who they DO want seated on a case?? However, I can never know this answer and be OK with it!!!!

I'll update my afternoon in tomorrow's post. Wow, this is one good thing about being here, I actually post a blog every day. Although, no pictures tend to make them not as fun, but hopefully you got a little insight to my days here!!

No comments: