Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Big Girl in Training

Hannah is well on her way to being "a big girl". I'm excited and sad at the same time. For those of you that don't already know, she tinkled on the potty a handful of times - the first time being April 1st (I should have known that day being April Fools would allude to something!) Anyway, she had a few successes at the beginning and now we're at a roadblock. When I ask her if she has to go potty, her response every time is "no, I just went in my diaper". I love how she uses the correct tense of the verb, but I HATE that answer!!!
So today, we have devised the official training plan. We will be staying home all weekend June 21-22 to do the kick off to Potty Training!!! Val from daycare suggests we go no place that weekend and put her right into underwear and just basically spend the weekend in the bathroom. 5 minutes on, 15 minutes off and then back on again until she goes. Of course there's all sorts of wonderful praises when she goes and we have to be prepared for accidents without any punishment. This ought to be fun. I plan on hyping Hannah up by going to the store for a special shopping trip just for her big girl panties and also picking out a special present she will get if she meets some sort of milestone. Val will continue our efforts that Monday and hopefully within 2 weeks or so we'll be well on our way and then by a month, she should be pretty much set to go. I love the thought of maybe buying my last pack of diapers soon!!! How COOL!!

We've really been telling Hannah about being a big girl. We started by turning her crib into the "big girl bed" about a month ago. So far, she hasn't once yet gotten out of her bed after she goes down until we go get her when she wakes up. She does however, climb into her bed voluntarily quite often because she knows she's allowed to have a lovey in there. So she'll go there just to suck on that silly thing! We let her though because as long as she's in her bed, she can have it. She's funny because she switches which end she sleeps at almost every night. I haven't figured out what that is all about yet?? Here she is in her big girl bed:


Then just this past weekend she graduated to a "big girl cup" at dinner. Tonight was the first spill so far, but we only put a little in at a time, so it's really no big deal. She plays with her milk a lot, but she feels proud to drink out of the new cups.


And even though you've seen pictures of her riding her bike, here she is in action. She does so well peddling and steering. Tonight she went all the way around the cul-de-sac by us and even up the hill/slope all by herself!

1 comment:

Erin said...

YAY for Hannah! Emma's not in the potty training mood, either! Good luck!!