Monday, May 26, 2008

The "Relaxing" Holiday Weekend

So whatever happened to the long holiday weekends filled with "fun" stuff to do???
I started this weekend by falling asleep on the couch by 7:30 Friday night. Guess that says something about my week!
Saturday, the little alarm clock was singing in her bed bright and early...around 7:00 or so. She came to our bed to watch TV while we tried to sleep a little longer. I got her packed and dressed to go spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's so we could get all of our plans accomplished without her "help".
Here's a little tune from Hannah before she left for the day:
This is one of Hannah's favorite lullaby's that she has dubbed "mommy buy". Sorry about having to hear her kicking the stool to the chair...that's quite annoying!

And for all you Barney fans:

Anyway, after that entertainment, Hannah left and Tony and I got started to work in the yard. It's times like this that the joys of home ownership are painfully (literally) blatent!

Tony cut the grass and I pulled weeds and pulled weeds. I forgot to take the before pictures - of course I thought of that as day 1 was concluding and by then it was too late. I continually cursed the bad mulch we got a couple of years ago. I cut down a really ugly cone shaped evergreen on the side of our house near the deck. We are going to just plant grass there since the only thing that seems to thrive are the weeds. I figure just running it down with the mower seems like a much better plan. Then I headed to the weed jungle in the back yard. We had planned on ripping out the flower (weed) bed on the side in the back, but after I got rid of all the weeds and saw the iris' there and also realized how much more work it would be to rip out the bed, we decided to just spray some mega-weed killer and leave the bed. Hopefully the maintenance won't be that bad. I also nearly had a heart attack as 3 baby bunnies decided to jump out from their cozy little nest among my weeds! They were cute, but they had better stay away from my flowers in the front or else!! Next was on to the island in the back yard - a million and one weeds there, I counted! And then finally around the deck. That poor deck is totally falling apart, we really need to fix it. Whoever built it did a pretty shotty job. I guess that's our next big project to save for. Anyway, Tony cut down part of our lilac tree. It's dying and growing a bit out of control, so he trimmed it down quite a bit. I sprayed round up everywhere and after we hauled all the brush out to the driveway, we finally called it a day.

We treated ourselves to a nice dinner at J Bella for our anniversary. I was the bad guy this year - no card. We said no gifts and as the day approached, we also said no cards, but Tony got one and made me feel bad that I didn't. Sorry Tony! We were both pretty tired so we just headed home and I managed to beat him in two rounds of poker. He wasn't too pleased with losing his straight to my full house, so that was the end of that!! Off to bed I went!

We woke up early (for some stupid reason) around 7:30 Sunday morning. Our bodies were aching and we still had a lot of work to do. We were out the door by 9 to go pick up our U-haul pick up truck...this cost us about $45, but so worth it to do what we needed to get done!




We went to get 2 yards of mulch - hopefully weed free! We got it spread around all of our beds in about 2 hours. Then we loaded up all the brush and yard waste we had and took it to our city recycling center. We had 2 very full loads. We got back and cleaned up the rest of the mess and I seeded the side of the house where I ripped out that ugly tree and laid down straw.
Here's the outcome of our efforts, which looks great and I'm sure will be worth the hard work and body aches. And, I forgot to mention, it was all done without ONE SINGLE arguement!!! An accomplishment in itself!




Then we showered and returned the truck and drove to my mom's. We had dinner and hung out on the deck. It was so nice to sit in the warm weather and enjoy the summer coming. We were both so tired, well all three of us were, by the time we left that no one wanted to drive the 40 minutes home. Thank goodness Hannah volunteered!



We luckily slept in until around 8:30 Monday morning, which was surprising because a thunderstorm rolled in around 7 and I thought for sure Hannah would wake up screaming. She slept right through it thank God! The weather got nicer and nicer as the day went on. I had to go grocery shopping and then came home to make macaroni salad. When Hannah woke up from her nap, we played outside for a while. She went for a bike ride - she's really getting pretty good.


And then there was a round of golf in the front yard.


Unfortunately, Hannah took a spill on the driveway and scraped her knee. She needed a "boo-boo ban-baid" to make it better.

And then lastly, the dogs came out to play for a little bit too. Cody can't behave on his own, but Roman really enjoys sitting in the grass hanging out.

We cooked brats and then hung out - finally, relaxing on this Memorial Day!

No comments: