Monday, July 4, 2011

Fathers Day - better late than never

I'm trying to play a little catch up with the old neglected blog here, and before I can post our 4th of July weekend happenings, I need to be sure to get in the recap of Father's Day.
I had a little outside get away planned, but I needed good weather, so Saturday looked liked the nicer of the two weekend days of Father's day weekend, so we all headed out Saturday morning. I did the driving since only Hannah and I knew where we were going - she's a good secret keeper! I drove towards Port Clinton and Tony realized we were going to go to Put-N-Bay as we got nearer to the marina. My fun surprise didn't get off to a very good start when I explained that we needed to carry Nicholas' car seat with us so we could strap it to the golf cart. We got on the ferry to go over and that went fine - Hannah loved the boat ride. We got off the ferry and got to the first golf cart rental place and managed to get the very last cart they had available for rent - how lucky......(read on)
We got the car seat on, all of stuff situated and everyone buckeled on and off we went, trying to figure out which way to go. Other carts were passing us since our cart was going a bit slow. We got quite a ways down and I was questioning whether we were heading the right way or not, so we pulled over to take a look at the map (everyone was starving by now and we needed to find a restaurant fast). I then confirmed we were going the right direction so we were ready to get going again, until the cart was DEAD! Like didn't just go slow - it didn't go at all!!!! OH, boy.....my "wonderful plan" just got better. So here we are, on an dead golf cart maybe 1/2 mile or more from the rental place with two kids and a hungry dad - what to do? So I called the golf cart rental place - busy, busy, busy. I was worried that they took the phone off since they were out of carts. Do you think anyone stopped to help - no, that would have been too nice! Finally, I got through to the place and the guy said he'd bring us a new cart (not sure where it was coming from, but didn't care at that point). He got there after about 10 more minutes and we switched all the stuff to the new cart and off we went - to find some food!
We finally got to the strip of bars and restaurants and ate at Mr. Ed's outside. It was a perfect weather day and we had a decent lunch. Finally remembered to take a few pictures then....not that there were many photo ops up until then!
Here are Tony and the kids at lunch:
After lunch, we were headed off to find something to do. As we drove around, I looked at Nicholas and wondered where his hat went............guess he didn't want to wear it anymore and threw it off as we drove off. We drove arond and found it sitting on the grass in the park! From everything I read, there is a ton of family stuff to do, but it was just not that lucky of a day for us I guess. The Perry's Monument was closed for construction, so then we headed to the Butterfly House and Perry's Cave. There were tons of cool butterflies, but it was small and didn't take up much time.
Then we went to Perry's Cave. That was neat, but I held Nicholas the entire time, which was fine, but could have been more enjoyable if he was older. It was neat though - no good pictures from there though.
Then we headed back to the main area and the kids rode the carousel.
And then we played in the park for a while.
Then Tony gave me the high sign that he was done, so we headed back. I guess Nicholas had fun!
Check out his golf cart hair!
He actually stayed asleep after taking him out of the car seat and putting him in the stroller. We had a quick snack waiting for the ferry.
Nick finally woke back up just before the ferry ride back over. We got back to the car and headed home. We stopped for dinner on the way home and then everyone pretty much crashed when we got home.
So my trip didn't go as I had hoped, but we had a beautiful weather day and enjoyed some more of what Ohio has to offer and celebrated Tony's special day as a family, so it was great!
Sunday morning, we got up and got ready to go to breakfast with my dad, Julia, Susan & Will and Rachael. It was a nice breakfast. Nicholas was in a great mood, which was nice so everyone could enjoy him! He was being buddies with Grandpa.
And of course Hannah stopped playing puzzle books with Grandma when it was time to open presents!!!
Then we went back home and Tony opened a couple gifts too.
He's been wanting a new tatoo of the kids footprints from when they were born, so now he has to go get it done.
And Hannah made this special paper and a craft for him.
And then we just hung out the rest of the day.
Thanks for being a great Daddy to Hannah and Nicholas Tony! We love you!!!

No comments: