Monday, July 4, 2011

They're off, now she's off

Hannah asked for her training wheels to come off this past Friday night. So we reminded her that once they came off, we wouldn't be putting them back on this time. She wanted them off and wanted to learn to ride without them. So Tony took them off.
He practiced with her for a while. He did the hold on to the back of her approach. She did pretty good, but I don't think she was getting the real feel of how to balance herself.
I'm not sure who seemed more frustrated, Tony or Hannah, so after he went in for the night, I stayed out with her and practiced. I helped her feel how it felt to balance and had her try to start the bike herself from a stopped position. When she'd fall, I made her pick the bike up herself and try again. She took a couple pretty good tumbles, but we practiced until it got dark.
Saturday morning after breakfast, she wanted to go out again, so we did. We did more of the start from a stop and I did a few runs with her down the sidewalk. She again, took several good tumbles and has a gigantic bruise on her left shin, but she was getting so close. It was super hot, so I hosed her and Nicholas down outside and we stopped for the day.
After I cleaned the house Sunday morning, she wanted to go again. I helped her get started and literally had my finger on the middle of her back and gave her a little push and off she went.....down the driveway, turned onto the sidewalk and up the neighbor's driveway all my herself!!!!!!!!!! I ran over to her and screamed for joy! I was so proud of her!!!! She got it on the first try!!!
She was still a bit wobbly, but could go herself! Tonight, she really started perfecting her turns and isn't so wobbly. We got her a new helmet that actually fits, a bell and a kickstand and now we have an official two-wheeler rider! Way to go Hannah!

No comments: