Monday, July 5, 2010

Another week in our life

Whew, there went another one! A full week just passed us right by, where did it all go? And for once, this past week seemed to last forever - at least at work.

So we had lots happening this week.....here's the scoop:

I made a few new dinners this week. Hannah's still not a fan of new foods. She's so picky and dinners last much longer than they should because she picks at her dinner more than eating. Other than the struggle to get her to eat, it was nice to make a few new things and get away from the same old menu we seem to have every couple weeks!

Tuesday night after gymnastics, Nicholas and Hannah were sitting in the chair together watching TV. Nicholas fell asleep sitting up next to Hannah. It was cute!

After that, Hannah didn't want to sit by him anymore, so she came over to lay on the couch with me and all of a sudden, we smelled this really strong smell of gas. I went around the house checking the stove and furnace (not sure what I was checking for?!), but then went outside and smelled it even stronger. I called the gas company and we had to evacuate the house while we waited for them to come. We hung out over in Laura's yard. Hannah loved it because she got to stay up way past bedtime and rode McKenna's bike. The gas guy finally came around 9:30 and sniffed around our house. Everything was fine and he said the smell must have been coming from down the street at one of their hubs. I'm not quite sure what that was all about, but as long as we were fine, I guess it was good. So, some things I didn't know if you smell gas in the house: get out and leave everything just the way it was. If anything is on, leave it on (appliances, lights, TV, etc) Do not turn on any lights that were off - use only a flashlight if it's dark. And of course stay clear from the house and wait for them to respond. Tony called the fire department when he got home, but they too weren't in a hurry to come check it out - they never came! Good thing our house wasn't ready to explode! Tony pulled his car into the garage just in case it did explode. He was going to be sure to get have a way to get a new car if he could!!!! So anyway, we were all safe to go back in and got everyone ready for bed. By then, Nicholas was wide awake, so it was a late bedtime for all of us.
I kind of can't remember what went on Wednesday and Thursday. I think just work, home for dinner and hanging around outside in the evenings. Like I mentioned before, the days at work were really long this week. I think part of it was because Nicholas' night times have been a little rough again. I spent one night sleeping from 2-6 in his glider in his room...yeah, that was fun! One night he slept in our bed half the night and we both had several trips to try to give him a binky and coax him back to sleep.
Friday morning, he got up early, around 6, so I decided to feed him before my shower. After I fed him, I had a funny feeling so I pulled back his lower lip and tongue and sure enough, there were two little teeth poking through his gums!!! Little stinker cut two teeth!!! Gee, he just didn't stay a little baby for very long - another reminder of it! He sure is a good baby though, if only night times were more restful!
So we were using this week as the week to get Nicholas' body back to complete normal to figure out what he was allergic to. I only bathed him in warm water and wipes all week, no soaps and lotion. He ate only breastmilk. His skin was perfect, no rashes, no hives and non-irritated eczema on his forehead. I gave him 2 ounces of formula mixed with 2 ounces of breastmilk Friday night. Within an hour, his eczema on his head was inflamed and his torso had a rash. I kind of new it was going to be the formula. I had called the pediatrician Friday afternoon just to make sure I should try milk-based formula again or if I should go right to soy. They said milk. Even though I knew the formula was the issue, I gave him 4 ounces more Saturday morning, just to be sure. Most of his rash was gone from Friday night, so in case they wanted me to bring him in to see the reaction, I figured I'd try one last time. His torso broke out again in the rash, so I called and they didn't need me to bring him in, but rather told me to use Nutramigen, which is an Enfamil product for allergies (and colic). It's hypoallergenic and lactose free and doesn't contain the protein that's in cows milk and soy milk that he's probably allergic to. So the good news is that we found a formula that seems to work for him. The bad news is that I guess we need to be worried about food allergies, this stuff costs way more than regular formula (almost $40 for a large can) and his poop smells TERRIBLE!!! But at least we've solved the mystery of his hives/rash. So now I'll have to be super careful about introducing each new food to his diet. I'm really hoping he outgrows some of this stuff and can eat normal food. I guess we'll see.
We all took a nice long nap Saturday afternoon and then went over to some friend's house for a get together that night. We got home late, but it was a fun night. Hannah has a blast playing with the other kids and staying up late!
We got up Sunday morning - the Fourth of July and got dressed. Here are Hannah and Nicholas in their holiday duds. They are just the cutest things together. Hannah adores him and he is just fascinated with her every move. They sure look like siblings and are the best kids ever!

We went to breakfast and then headed out toward Sandusky to go to the African Safari Wildlife Park. It was pretty cool. You drive through this big park and feed all sorts of animals from the car.....llamas, deer, buffalo, zebras, giraffes, elk, antelope. It was really neat!


Then there was a small zoo-like area to walk through. Hannah took a couple pony rides and a camel ride.

We watched a little bit of an animal show, had some ice cream and then finished the day there with the pig races! That was funny and Tony sure got a kick out of that!


Nicholas did great too. He was sure stinking cute in his stroller! He got a lot of comments from others - they all were surprised of his age because he's so big! Lot's and lot's of raspberries from him all day....he thinks it's really funny (and it is)!!!!

We headed back home and rested for a little. Nicholas really likes grabbing at his toes now!


We had dinner and then headed out to watch fireworks. Hannah enjoyed them and Nicholas liked watching them too. He wasn't bothered by the noise at all and this was the first year Hannah didn't have to cover her ears (much)! It was a good time - except the part of getting back home which took almost an hour with all the traffic.




We had a really great holiday weekend!

No comments: