Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mother of the Year

Well, I guess I don't get this honor this year, although, I try to be the best mother I can be (and I think overall, I do pretty well).

I did the unthinkable last Thursday...I dropped Nicholas - in public!

I took Hannah to gymnastics last week by myself, with Nicholas, who was just one week old. I figured I could totally handle this task and was ready for the outing. Tony got busy at work, so he didn't make it.

So anyway, we get to the gym, and I got Hannah ready for class. We were a little early, so we were sitting on the bleachers waiting for class to start. I had Nicholas in his car seat, which was a bit akward and bulky to sit on the bleacher, so I decided to go to the top on (three tiers up) and sit against the wall. We were doing fine and since we'd be sitting there for about an hour, I had some crazy notion that he'd be more comfortable in his seat if I un-did his buckles. I have no clue why I thought this was a good idea, but I did it. Anyway, shortly after that, the carseat tipped over and fell down to the step that you put you feet on (with him in it). Everyone gasped and we grabbed for the seat and then all of a sudden, he plopped out of the seat, face first on to the floor.

I was MORTIFIED! People came rushing over, I grabbed him off the floor and he was still sleeping and not at all phased by the fact his mother just dropped him on the floor! I was so shocked that I didn't even freak out, but felt like someone should call social services or something - how could I have done this?!?!?!
Everything was fine and he wasn't hurt at all. I just held him the rest of the time. Hannah kept asking me why I dropped her brother. I tried to explain to her that it was an accident and I didn't do it on purpose, but then I knew I had to fess up to Tony. I figured that'd be the first thing she'd say when we got home.
Tony called while I was there and I told him. That was almost as painful as dropping him, but since everything was OK, I finally was able to chalk this up as a true accidental mistake. I realized I need to get back into baby mode and be more aware and careful about what I'm doing. Now I keep hearing everyone else's story of how their baby fell or they wacked them on the head or whatever.

So Nicholas, I'm so sorry I dropped you! I guess when you're acting goofy some day a few years from now, we'll know why!
I love you!

(I'll get some pictures up soon....I've been pretty busy the past few days)

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Sending you lots of love! Molly sends a high five!

Maggie said...

You are mother of the year! No stress! He's so darn cute it won't matter! Molly sends a high five.