Thursday, January 28, 2010

Who's in Charge?

I'm facing my first test with the new baby. I'm soon to find out who is in charge - me or the baby. I'm now at 37 weeks. I've officially got 3 weeks left until my due date. Sticking to this plan really works best for me - that's the way it's been in my planner so I've scheduled everything around this date. I was faced with a bit of a curveball this week that I am having a hard time swallowing.

This past Tuesday at my doctor appointment, I had gone from closed cervix last Tuesday and my midwife saying I'll most likely go to due date or overdue to 2 cm and 80% effaced this week and her telling me there'd be no surprise if I go a week or two early. Normally, that would be good news, but I'm just too busy right now to have a baby earlier than the plan!!!

I had a realy hard discussion with this little one Tuesday night telling him/her that I needed at least 2 more full weeks before it was time to be born. I've just got to get through this weekend for Hannah's birthday party and she deserves to have her own birthday, so there will be no baby this weekend. Next week is pretty full wrapping things up at work and a few things in the evening that I've got to do, so next week is no good either. Then the week of the 8th gets better as far as being free goes, however, if the baby comes this week, the weeks I have planned off for my maternity leave get a little screwed up and I'm not so happy about that. So the deal is that after the 12th, I'm open and will be ready to take a 2-3 day trip to the hospital to meet this little one. Sounds fair to me.

So, the battle has begun.....who will win? Hannah is very obedient, so this is the first test to see if I get another well behaved good child or one that will test me and push the limits forever!

I really wish I wasn't so routine and had to stick to a schedule because then this wouldn't matter so much, but it really does bother me that what I have planned may get thrown in the garbage!! I don't like not being in control - maybe this is a good test for me too!

So anyway, stay tuned for weekly checkup updates. We have another appt next Tuesday as well as the ultrasound. We'll see what that brings and then I guess we just go from there - anxiously awaiting - but not too soon!!!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

OHHHH dear ms. mary! well, I hope you at least get through Hannah's party!!! Take it easy and do all the opposite things they say to do to induce... thinking of you!!!!