Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekly Recap

OK, so I think I got it right to name this blog "how I keep in touch" because unfortunately, it's very like me to be absent for a week or so at a time due to my very busy life and then sort of "catch up" with a seemingly recap of what happened.

So here goes my attempt to recap this past week:
Work - BUSY beyond words! The atmosphere there is so much better since the termination Friday, but now there's an empty seat, so naturally we're all even busier than usual. I'm also going through a pretty large restructuring of my Admin group, so that' a lot to deal with. I seem to have meeting after meeting and one this past week started at 7 am, so that was a 5:00 morning for me - so NOT fun!!

Our baby sitter's mom passed away last week, so Hannah didn't go Thursday and Friday since they had to get down to 6 kids. My mom came over Thursday and then Tony drover her out to their house Friday morning to spend the day and night. By the time Friday got here, I was running on fumes and somehow did manage to make it through the workday.

We went to Mike's house, one of the owner's of Tony's company, on Friday night to play poker. It was nice to get a night out to play cards and hang out. We got home pretty late so by that time I was near exhaustion!
I got up around 9 Saturday morning and made a curtain for my Grandma's place. She gave me 2 pillow cases that match her bedding to make her a curtain out of. I've had it for a couple months now, but since I seldom have time to sew, I just hadn't done anything with it. I threw it together quickly Saturday morning and then ran out the door to drive over to her Retirement Community's Family picnic. Mom brought Hannah and I met them there. I hung the curtain, which actually looked pretty good and then it dawned on me that I forgot my camera!
We went to the picnic and Hannah saw a clown, which she wasn't so sure of at first, but then warmed up a bit. She sat in the driver's seat of the fire engine (again, so aggravated I forgot my camera) and she had cotton candy for the first time! She wasn't sold on that, but ate a little.

We left there around 1:30 and headed back home. She fell asleep in the car, but luckily went in to her bed and napped for another 2 hours (so did I). We got up and got showered and went to our city's Home Day's Fair.

It was Hannah's first experience at a fair - her first carnival rides! Last year, she cried the entire time because of the noise and we weren't quite sure how she'd react to the rides, so we were leery to buy the $15 wristband....instead we bought the $1 tickets 2 at a time, which I think ended up being the right thing to do. Her first ride was on the go around in circles in a car ride. The Carney seriously let the ride go for almost 10 minutes!!! Hannah had a great time, but the kids were getting bored! Here she is:


Next we tried the mini-roller coaster. She sat in a seat next to a girl a little older than she was and all seemed fine at first. The first lap around, she sort of freaked a little as she was coming down the "hill" and was being tossed about a little - she tried grabbing onto the sides of the car to hold herself down - unsuccessfully. As they went around again, she seemed to be a mixed between scared to death and having fun - just what a roller coaster is supposed to do I guess. On lap 3, the guy stopped the ride to removed the TERRIFIED kid (that wasn't Hannah), but he also asked some of the not-so-sure kids (including Hannah) if they wanted off. She opted to get off. I think she'd have been OK, but he asked and she said she was done, so maybe next year??

This was the before the ride started picture:


Here is the video...it's hard to keep track of where she is, but she's sort of in the middle in the white shirt - trying to hold on for dear life!


Next was the safe ride on the carousel - we did this twice, once with daddy and once with mommy.
And finally after mommy was reminded that even the easiest ride that goes in circles isn't my thing, daddy took her for a ride in the dizzy dragons - she liked it fairly well. Daddy, not as much since it was sweltering hot in there!!

It was a fun experience with Hannah who got me all teary when I realized we don't have a baby anymore!!!

Sunday was cleaning, shopping and trying to prepare for my garage sale day. Oh, yeah, and going to bed at 9:30!!! I realized I had run myself completely down these past couple weeks!!!

I am happy to report that after 4 long awaited years, my wedding flowers that I planted the summer of our wedding have finally bloomed!!! Our florist had a great idea to use perennial plants as wedding flowers so that we could replant them and watch them bloom each year. The only problem was that I think I got reject hydrangea's that went dormant for 3 summers, but alas they finally have a bloom this year - yes I said A bloom - ONE on each plant! Maybe by the time we reach our silver anniversary they will be full of blooms!!!


Hannah had her first popcicle last week down the street at our neighbor's house, so I bought some this week. (by the way, I didn't do as well shopping this week either - spent $95 and only saved about $7. No one is probably interested in the entire low-down on that, but I did buy a lot of meat which made the price of my bill higher, and there just weren't that many deals to be found this week). So anyway, Hannah isn't so sure about biting the cold popcicle. She instead lets it melt all over the place as she takes little licks or small sucks at a time! She is funny though because after this taste, she said, "mommy, it's spicy!!" (she says spicy when she means sour!!)
And lastly, I share this gross but true story about Hannah's discovery tonight. We were playing outside and she said she had to go potty (by the way, she's doing great, I'd say fully trained) and so we went. After she was done, she took a look and said, "mommy, there's corn in that poopy" So now yo uall know what we had for dinner last night!!! Gross, I know, but it's a fact (I threw that in there for you, Susan!!!)

2 comments:

Erin said...

That is one heck of a recap, Mary! Emma just had her first popsicle too! So glad she liked the rides at the carnival. She looks so cute. Too funny about the poop! Glad work is better now!

Pop said...

Wow, what a busy week. Glad the "problem employee" at work is overwith. I'm sure it is a lot less stressfull, even with the extra workload to share. Glad Mom and I could help with Hannah during the funeral time last week, which also gave you guys a chance to relax a little too. We were wondering about the carnival rides, but then again when I take her on the neighbors swings, all I hear is "go higher - go faster Papa". By the way, based on your last comment about the corn; Grandpa had his first experience getting her on the potty since she became potty trained. She taught me what to do, and we were just fine.