Monday, April 18, 2011

Nicholas had a fun 14 month old day!

Nicholas is 14 months old today! He's such a big boy and I describe him as sweet and sour. He can be such a sweet, lovable little boy and can be OH SO ROTTEN too.
I forgot to post about him last month during my blog lacking month, so I'll try to catch up to include his up to date stuff.
He's just about 26 pounds - loves to eat which helped to get him that way. We sometimes have to say no to crackers or else he'd eat them all day! It was funny the other morning, he went downstairs and then was climbing up the stairs with a box of Cheese-Its in one hand and a box of Vanilla Wafers in the other! Too funny! Wish I had my camera for that one!
He has all of his first year molars now. They came in on the top first and the last one came in while we were on vacation. He's now cutting the eye teeth on the bottom, so right now, he's got 12 teeth.
He has perfected his walking and running and now is jumping - he can get a little bit of air under his feet! He LOVES to dance, like seriously loves music - he hears music and gets his groove on!!! It's awesome!
He is saying a few more words, waves hi and bye, does about 5 animal sounds and nods yes and no in usually appropriate responses.
He is really great - and then comes his rotten side........oh, this boy can be nasty! He can throw a fit like no one else I know and has a mean streak when he's mad. I'm not sure what gets into him sometimes, but I'm quickly realizing that I'm going to have to parent him differently than I have with Hannah. Such a challenge raising a boy, but such a joy too!
I fear that we'll take our first trip to the ER this summer with something broken or lots of blood - he likes to play rough! We'll try our best to keep him safe and in one piece.
Here's a few pictures from today
Check out those teeth!
So I stayed home with him today, not for his birthday, but because he has had this cough for over 2 months and it seems to be getting bad again. Last month, I took him to the doctor after his cold lasted 2-3 weeks and he had a double ear infection. I took him back just before vacation because he was still coughing and I wanted to make sure his ear infection cleared up. It did, but now, two weeks home from vacation, and he's still coughing. He had a bit of a fever this weekend, so I figured something isn't quite right and I wanted to take him for another doctor visit. So we got there today and his ears looked fine and his lungs sounded OK, but the doctor said there was something that sounded a little off in his cough and wheezing. He suggested sending him for a chest x-ray.
Do you know how they take a chest x-ray of a 14 month old? They use this barbaric looking contraption called a Pigg-O-Stat. The child sits on this little seat and his legs go into the holes of the bottom and then they (3 adults) strap these plastic things around his little body with his arms up over his head and only his red, screaming (scared) little face sticks out from the opening at the top. All the while the mother stands on the outside of the room with tears streaming down her face. And then they finish, release the scared screaming child. As I calm him down and reassure him he's fine, they come in and say the films weren't clear because his legs were kicking so hard and we had to do it again. Oh, poor Nicholas! This time, I help to get him in quickly and stay next to him with a lead apron and one lady holds his legs, I stay at his face and we finish quickly.
I guess this thing was a good idea, but it was awful! I wonder what kind of kid they used for this picture? Surely not a 14 month old kid that needs a chest x-ray!
So even with not-so great films, our Doctor didn't think there was anything worrisome about them, and decided to try a steroid medicine for 5 days to see if we can clear up the cough. Hopefully it works out well.
Another thing about our day together today, Nicholas was watching the Wiggles as I did some work at the kitchen table. Here he is dancing to the music.
So then after a few minutes, I looked over at him and see this
I guess he was tired and decided it was time for a nap!
I took Hannah to gymnastics tonight. It was sure easier without taking Nicholas. We got home and he was playing in Hannah's room like he loves to do. This is one of the things he likes to do with Hannah's dolls and their crib.
I guess he is still a baby after all! Despite him getting so big, so fast, he's still my baby!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Love the picture of him in the doll bed! too cute. Glad he's okay. What a crazy contraption for the x-rays, though!