Sunday, February 27, 2011

Another Trophy!

Hannah's second session of gymnastics ended last week with "show what you know" and the ribbon ceremony. We've noticed a lot of improvement in her the past few months and she's now tumbling around the house all the time, which shows interest and explains some of her improvment (more practicing).

The night started with her coach coming over to me to tell me that they were ready to move Hannah up and along to the next step. She said that meant two days a week @ 1-1/2 hrs each day and the classes were our Monday night and Saturday morning. Oh, and another $50 a month. As much as I was delighted that she felt Hannah was ready, I had to tell her that our family just isn't ready for that level of seriousness at this time. Hannah JUST turned 5 and we have all the time in the world to be super busy. I'm just not ready to spend 3 hours a week at the gym for a 5 year old (and with a one year old). I feel a little selfish with my spare time and weekends, but we're always just so busy trying to fit in what we don't do during the week into the weekends and evenings that I just can't see going this route just yet. I was a bit disappointed because she said if we didn't choose to move up, we'd have to switch to Saturdays to stay in this type of class, which I don't want to do either. She was going to maybe allow Hannah to stay on Monday nights depending on enrollment, but if not, she would have to move to a 50-minute rec class which is offered both Wednesday and Thursday evenings, so that's what we may end up doing. We'll re-evalulate in the summer I guess. I know Hannah likes it and has fun and is definitely getting better, but I'm also not convinced she LOVES it and therefore, I'm just not ready to be serious about it.

So anyway, about the night and the pictures.
Some exercises that are helping her get quite a tight little tummy! (maybe I need to work on this move!)
She's one of the only girls in her class that will actually do a handstand on the beam alone. She definitley feels more comfortable and does better on this double beam, but none of the other girls will actually kick up into a handstand, and Hannah does it pretty well!
Back walkovers off the mat have definitely improved (probably due to the extra practice in the living room off the ottoman!)
Lots of handstands against our living room wall have helped perfect this move! Need to work on pointed toes!
And bars is where she's really made improvements from her assessments. Last time, she got just a blue ribbon on bars (the bottom level). She has been working hard and now can attempt her cast-straddle on which we were trying to take a picture of here. She can do it probably 50% of the time. She has a hard time remembering to hold on to the bar!
So there's the "Show What You Know" portion..........and then we moved on to the ribbon ceremony.
She was so very excited (which I happily captured her expression) when she achieved level black on everything and got her Black Trophy this time!!!!! She was so proud of herself and I was of her too! She has been working hard so it was exciting!
And afterward with her treasured new trophy
And as for other happenings around our place, Nicholas loves the vaccuum which of course tickles me pink! He loves to help me sweep the kitchen floor and also chase around the regular vaccuum! Love seeing my kids like to clean (I know, I'm weird)!!!!
And his fine motor skills are really improving which is cool. He loves to play with his shape sorter and can get a few of the shapes in all by himself as with the coins in the piggy bank here.
We went to visit Great Grandma yesterday for a bit. She had a birthday gift for Nicholas and then we stayed for a while which was nice.
Our dishwasher took a dump on us, so we got to buy a new one - love spending money on stuff like that and continuing to put money into this house when we so badly want to keep working the plan to move up! We're working hard to make that happen, so I'll just keep thinking positively about it and it WILL happen!!!
Tony and I are going to start getting into shape again and eating better. I figured I'd blog about it to help make it more of a commitment! So you're in too my dear (since I know you're reading this)......no more junk food and get to the rec center!
Ok, I'm off to work on our taxes.........hopefully that's not going to ruin my day!!!

1 comment: