Monday, November 9, 2009

You're Fired!

I had to say it again today! Not at work this time, thank goodness. But instead, to my new OB. When I first found out I was pregnant, I called my OB to make an appointment. Much to my disappointment, she had stopped taking OB patients because of her schedule since she just had her third kid and her husband is an OB also. They offered me the new doctor to the practice and I went ahead and signed up for that. Well, it was bad from the first look at her - literally. I sort of prejudged her a little and our first appointment didn't start off well. I thought maybe I had been a little harsh and didn't want to make too much of it and kept going. And yes, Tony did tell me after that first appointment that I should switch doctors since I didn't seem to click with her. So he was right, I should have listened (see honey, I managed to say it again!!!)

So anyhow, I went for my second month and third month visit still not really liking her. One of those visits, she made Tony and I feel like real idiots about the whole seasonal flu shot discussion. Then I had the bleeding episode and she was real helpful that day. I got right in to see her a few days after that and I sort of thought she redeemed herself a little. Then I had my 4th and 5th month visit, which were like in and out with very little activity. I remember on my 5th month visit, she didn't even say hello to me as she walked in the room, but went right to the counter to read through my chart. It was very odd. Then I had asked her about my ultrasound results and she told me she hadn't read them yet (a week and a half later). I had another bad taste in my mouth after that one.

So then for the grand finale last Thursday! They were over 45 minutes late calling me in, so that ticked me off. Then when she came in the room and went right to reading my chart (she did say hello this time), she asked if I was going to be doing my glucose testing. I said, "I don't know, you haven't mentioned that before". She said, "oh, we'll schedule that for next time". Then she said, "you need a rhogam shot too". I said, "I had one when I had the bleeding at the hospital at 13 weeks, do I need to do it again?" And she said, "oh, no, then you're fine'......[thanks for knowing my chart that you put your nose right into every time!!!!!!!!!!!!]
So then since she didn't ask how I was feeling, I decided to tell her that I've had what I think is nerve pain in my leg and asked if it was from the way the baby was positioned. She said that's what it sounded like and told me that the only way to help it is to get the baby to move, which isn't easy because often times, it'll go right back to the same position. As she was telling me this, she listened to heartbeat and measured me so there was no discussing the results of that stuff.
Then the question came up that I had hoped to avoid.....H1N1 vaccine. See, I've been debating about what to do about getting the shot or not getting it. Everyone had suggested to me to talk to my doctor about it, but since I don't like her and don't feel comfortable talking to her, I knew I couldn't do that. Well, that should have been my telltale sign I have a problem, but stupid me kept going back thinking I would just muster through these next few months until it was over and then go back to my old doctor.

Well, when she asked me if I had gotten it, I said, "well, no, and I'm not sure what to do". Her response: "what do you mean you don't know what to do? Do you want to die?"
Um, no, not particularly!!!! So then she made me mad and as I was trying to explain my struggle with the decision, I started to cry. I told her I was mostly concerned that there haven't been any pregnant moms who got the vaccine and then had a healthy baby one or two years later. She then said, "so what do you think, your baby will sprout two heads in 20 years?" I said, "well, no, I certainly don't think it could be something so extreme". We went on to discuss the whole issue even though I wanted to rip her face off.

The appointment ended after she told me to go to get the free vaccine from the board of health that day since they were giving it at a local fairgrounds. I had to go straight there since it was only going until noon and by then, it was already 11:00. She told me that when the board of health gives the shots, you need to pre-resister online first. I asked, "how do you do that?" She replied, "With a computer".
Are you serious? With a computer???? OK, then that pissed me off so bad I thought I'd fly off the table and do major bodily harm. Was I some kind of complete idiot??? Or did she just feel compelled to make me feel like I wasn't a college-educated professional woman?
So long story, after getting the shot and then having this whole episode ruin my day and then waking up at 5:30 the next morning stressing over it, I decided to call my old doctor and see what my options were to switch to another provider. She was off unitl today, but called me this morning. She was so nice and took like 15 minutes on the phone with me to explain everything and tell me that it was important to match up well and be comfortable with the doctor so it was no problem at all to switch. I had a few choices and ended up choosing to try one of the two midwives that the practice has. She also switched my appointments to a Tuesday since that's the day the old doctor isn't there and also said if for any reason I don't click with this midwife, I can still try the other one or their other MD. I felt so much better after that call and am actually excited to go back for my next appointment instead of dreading it!!
So even though I didn't really say it, Dr. S, YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!
In other good news, I met up with Maggie this past Saturday. I haven't seen her in a while and it was great seeing her and knowing that she is a healthy almost 20 weeks pregnant!!!! She feels good, looks great and everything seems to be going just fine for her pregnancy!!! I'm so happy for her. Here's a picture that the guy from the restaurant took. I look like a house in it, but I'll post anyway. Unfortunately, it was sort of dark in there and Maggie was wearing a green sweater so you really can't see her baby bump that well in the pic, but feel free to check out her blog for pics since she's been updating there!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

So glad you switched!!! I really hope you like the mid-wife. It's important to be happy with your doctor. What a meanie! And yay for seeing Maggie! I'm going to check out her blog to see her pictures.