My sister was in town last weekend. She came up to go to the Buckeye's game on Saturday with my dad. Since she was in town, we got together on Sunday.
We went to lunch first and then headed out to Patterson's Farm for their fall festival. Tony and I took Hannah there last year. It's so much fun - tons of stuff to do and definitely worth the trip. It was a bit cold for the day- I think it maybe hit 49, but the sun kept trying to peek out, but at least no rain.
Hannah loved the straw barn and the slides.
Aunt Susan went with her at first, but then Hannah kindly advised everyone that "she didn't need our help".
She practiced her gymnastics skills on a beam walk
She got to take a pony ride
and then we all went through the corn maze.
She ended the day in the straw barn with straw all tucked into her hair and braids that I couldn't get it all out!
I thought for sure she'd be out as soon as we got the car, but she was too busy playing with Aunt Susan's camera, however, as soon as I dropped them all off at their car, it took all of about 2 minutes for the eyes to shut and for Hannah to catch a quick nap on the rest of the way home.
I went home and made dinner. I was so sad to see that Tony's fall yard cleanup made it official that summer is over - he put all of our deck furniture away....SO SAD!!! I had to comb out Hannah's hair before her bath to get the rest of the straw out and she was in bed by 8:15.
We had gymnastics Monday night and Tuesday, Tony worked late so it was just Hannah and I for dinner. She wanted to have school time at home after dinner, so we sat down together to do some pages in the new workbooks I got her. She loves learning and we're working on phonics now to prep her for reading.
Last night was supposed to be story time night at the library. We didn't make it....here's why. I made pot roast in the crock pot for dinner. During the day, Tony and I were emailing back and forth and we decided that we should start making Hannah eat the dinners I make and not make her a separate meal if it's something that she won't eat. I don't do that a lot, but I've done that pretty much when I make meat meals - other than ground beef. She's a terrible meat eater, she just chews and chews. We decided that she'd better start getting used to eating the ONE dinner I make. So on the way home, she asked what was for dinner. I told her pot roast and then she asked what was she going to have. (she's on to us) I told her pot roast. Then she asked "what did that look like?" see, she has this thing - that I swear I didn't teach her - but if it looks like she won't like it, she doesn't want to try it. We have a rule that she's not allowed to say she doesn't like something until she's tried it first. It's sometimes a battle, but we stick to that rule. So anyway, we got home and the house smelled great from that cooking all day, but not to Hannah! We sat down around 6:00 and she took one look at it and it was all downhill from there! She didn't want to say grace that night, I had to. She ate her applesauce first and then she took a bite of a potato. It took her between 10-15 minutes to swallow that first bite. Then a bite of a carrot. Another 10-15 minutes later, she finally got that down. Now mind you, she's gagged and cried and has tears and snot all over the place and we realize, this wasn't going well. But we stuck to it and made her keep eating as we ate. Then she took a bite of the meat. She just chewed and chewed - for like another 15 minutes (and more tears and snot). We were finished eating by 6:45 and she had eaten like 3 bites. We got up and cleaned up the kitchen and told her that she had to stay there until she finished eating. She asked for bread and for cheese, but I told her if she can't swallow her food anymore then she wouldn't be able to swallow bread or cheese, so she didn't get any. By 7:00, I went to change my clothes for the night since story time starts at 7 and we obviously weren't going. We sat back down with her to try to help her count her chews and get her to swallow. She'd swallow, but not the food - that stayed tucked in her cheeks. Tony was getting grossed out and we all were a bit frustrated. I felt bad for her, but we had to make the point. She finally got the "five bites to go" and by around 7:30 she had her last bite in her mouth of meat and she said she had to go potty. I told her that if she didn't get it swallowed while she went potty, she'd have to come back to the table to finish. Luckily, she got it down and we were finally done with dinner. I told her how proud I was of her to finish eating and we all then agreed it wasn't so bad after all. The rest of the night was fine - not scarred!!!
So then the topper to this whole story was that Tony dropped her off at daycare this morning and told Val the story. She thought it was funny because guess what they had for lunch yesterday? BEEF STEW!!! And she said Hannah ate all of it and was actually the first one finished. Now seriously, dinty-moore beef stew is pretty similar to pot roast (although I'm sure mine tasted better!). I talked to Val again tonight about it and they said that they have to make Hannah eat the part she doesn't like best first - the meat and then she's usually fine. I guess this is just our new habit to break with her and get over this phase. I'm sure we'll get there!






No comments:
Post a Comment