Yes, Nicholas still has a binky. At this point, he is only allowed to have it in his room, which means he has it at nap (at home) and at night and when he needs some chill out time to himself.
He has lost one at a time over the last year or so by either biting holes in them or throwing them away because he's bad. We were down to two, but Grandma sent one home from her house, so we had three.
Last Friday morning was the tantrum of all trantrums (so far). I opened Nick's door up to wake him around 6:50. He immediately screamed at me to get out out of his room. I left him alone for a few minutes, and he shut his door. I opened it back up and he continued to scream at me to get out and shut off the hall light. I told him it was time to get up and nicely asked him to stop screaming. I'm not joking when I say this kid can be REALLY mean.....he was screaming at the top of his lungs like a nut-case. I just kept getting ready in the bathroom and reminded him that he needed to get up for breakfast. He kept screaming. Finally, I went in and ripped his binky string off his PJ's and demanded he stop screaming and get up. That only made him more mad. He continued screaming the entire morning. I just finished getting ready and got him dressed (while still screaming), got his coat and boots on and strapped him into his car seat. He finally stopped screaming so that he could eat a granola bar since he missed breakfast at home. He complained about being hot and I reminded him that maybe he shouldn't have screamed for 45 minutes.
We talked on the way to daycare about what was wrong. He told me that he wanted his binky and I reminded him that he was being "Nasty Nick" (vs. the Nice Nick that we prefer) and because of that, I threw his binky's away. I actually really hadn't but I had to tell him I did because that's about the only thing that gets to him for him to get it.
So anyway, Friday night, we had friends over and he stayed up late. When he hit the wall, I went up to put him to bed and he asked for his binky. I had to remind him that we threw them away so he didn't have them anymore, That put him into a fit, which I let him cry out for a while. Then I went back into his room to rock him for a bit and he calmed down and then went to bed pretty much with no problem. He woke through the night twice, but soothed himself back to sleep pretty easily.
He never mentioned it all day Saturday. When I rocked him to sleep last night, he said, "mommy, I'm not going to cry because I don't have a binky". I was so proud of him. He really hasn't asked about it much this weekend and I think now he knows they're gone forever and I think he's OK with it.
So with that, farewell binky's...........we're ready for a big boy three year old!

No comments:
Post a Comment