Friday, October 28, 2011

Waited for 5 years for this

Since I'm on the trend of blogging about once a month now, no apologies for the non-posting....it should be expected by now. I'll be sorry when I finally put this blog into a book and have such gaps between posts, but at least I'm capturing some of our crazy life!

So all my dad has wanted since he became a Grandpa is to share his love of tractors with his grandkids. Since Hannah was old enough to walk, Dad's been itching to get her on a tractor. The problem has been that she hates loud noises and is not the most adventursome kid. So the attempts up until now haven't gone so well. I think when I had a son, Dad was even more anxious to live up to his name of Grandpa Tractor. Hannah was excited to go down for a visit last month and I thought Nicholas would be too.

Dad had all the toys ready to go and it started off really well. Hannah and Nicholas climbed up on the Gator and seemed excited about the fun ahead.



Unfortunately, Nicholas didn't like the noise either, but to Grandpa's delight, Hannah loved all the rides!!! She even got to steer the 4010 - so fun!


And then she took a ride on a small garden tractor with Grandma


And then Hannah rode a dozer and they both explored all the tractors in one of the barns.
Nicholas did brave up enough to at least SIT on one with me.....this was "my tractor" growing up!



We had fun and maybe next summer Nicholas will like it better. I think he may have considered it a little except for the fact Grandpa scared him with his "Boo Toe". You see, dad had a hole in the toe of his tennis shoe and while we were eating dinner, Nicholas noticed it. When we realized he was checking out my dad's toe sticking out of his shoe, Dad lifted his leg at Nick and yelled "BOO!" That didn't go over well at all!!!! So after the tractor riding, Nicholas was acting afraid of Grandpa and even went over to our car in an attempt to leave. I realized what was wrong with him - he was afraid of my dad's shoe!!!! So like a good Grandpa, he went in to change shoes and we had a peaceful rest of the visit.

I have to say (maybe an advantage to blog delay) there is a second chapter to this story. First you need to understand that we visited them the last weekend in September. Now, a month later, this past weekend, Nicholas was drinking out of one of our John Deere sippy cups. We were looking at the tractors on it and he was really trying to tell me something. He kept "saying" the same thing over and over with the same fluctuations in his voice, but because a lot of what he says is still not understandable, I had no clue what he was saying. Finally, he looked over at our door to where we take off our shoes and he said "shoe". Then I realized what he was saying....he was pointing to the tractor on his cup and was telling me that "papa had a hole in his shoe"! It was hysterical!!! Funny how things really stick to kids sometimes!

No comments: